Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS PROBLEM IS NOW RESOLVED.

SEE PAGES 2 AND 3. FidoFuz explains how to cure this problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've transferred from DISC to PC to USB several albums.

They all play from the USB stick without a problem on the PC (or any other device, apart from in the car).

A .mp3 track I've downloaded from Amazon into my PC and then transferred to the same USB stick DOES play and shows the title skin etc.

Why does only this track play?

I've formatted the USB stick, even tried a different USB stick, but only the one track is found even though the other albums are in .mp3 format.

I'm wondering whether it's because you can't transfer from Disc due to 'copyright', even though I've paid to buy the albums.

Any thoughts?

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I thought I'd try to play from my phone via Bluetooth.

It played the one song again but wouldn't play any albums.

However; when I selected a single track from an album it did play.

Maybe I'll need to transfer each track individually from an album as opposed to the whole album in one go.

This probably only applies to transfers from CD to PC to USB. If I download a whole .mp3 album then that will probably work ok.

Bit of a nuisance doing one track at a time but I guess I can select just my favourite tracks from each CD.

Al.

PS: I've just transferred 4 tracks from an album individually and the 'highlighted' all the others using the 'Control' button on the keyboard to transfer the remaining tracks in one go.

If that works it will be easier.

Off to test now.....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opening the folder to display the individual tracks and highlighting all to transfer works fine.

I mentioned that I did some tracks individually and those tracks appeared above the .mp3 download that worked previously. The remaining tracks that I transferred after highlighting all appeared as separate listings after the .mp3 download.

But! they all played from the USB stick.

Now I just have to use the CTRL + Mouse to highlight and select all, right click and choose 'Send To' from the menu.

Al.

PS: I've realized why they went out of order. The .mp3 download was numbered '6' so it appeared with the number 6 track from the CD album transfer.

It may therfore be necessary to amend the track numbers for albums to keep them together.

ie: Individual tracks from an album could be 1aa, 2ab, 3ac, etc. The next album could be 1ba, 2bb, 3bc, etc. The next 1ca, 2cb, 3cc, etc.

That should keep the tracks together for each album in the list. Bit of a nuisance but should work ok.

PPS: This is of course only applicable to CD's that you have transferred onto your PC. Albums that you have directly purchased and downloaded as .mp3 should work without any problem.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right then!

I've transferred several albums to USB and, providing you have your albums numbered differently in your PC, the tracks keep together in the correct order.

There was no need for me to do any re-numbering.

The only time I guess that will be necessary is if you just download a single track.

Everything worked fine but it sure does give you a long list of tracks!!

I would therefore suggest re-purchasing an old favourite CD as a .mp3 download to keep things neat and tidy on your screen.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've downloaded 3 .mp3 versions from the Amazon Cloud.

These are albums that I previously purchased as CD's from Amazon and they have now become available to me as free MP3 downloads.

These appear on the car screen with the album cover.

You select the album and it then lists the individual tracks.

It's only when you transfer from CD to PC to USB that you have to transfer as 'tracks' which makes selection a bit awkward on the car screen as you have a very long listing to scroll through, albeit in album order.

I've now deleted all the individual tracks and will just stick to album downloads.

Al.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al, if you can pick up an old iPod you can get Album art, Genre, Albums, playlists, etc.I had an old classic iPod which has 33 gig loaded and is fine.I just sync with my iTunes and don't worry.I have the iPod in a black cover and when plugged into the socket you have to look to see it there in front of the cup holders.

Mac.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mac, thanks for the info.

I can play all my favourite tracks from my Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini via the Bluetooth connection as I have all the CD Albums downloaded into there as .mp3 .

I guess I could also play via an attached USB lead and charge my phone at the same time.

I was just puzzled how the files on the USB Drive didn't show (apart from the one track).

Al.

PS: Now I'm wondering whether I can download from my phone onto the USB Drive to see if that will work. Hmmm, think I'll try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
allan40alt said:

PS: Now I'm wondering whether I can download from my phone onto the USB Drive to see if that will work. Hmmm, think I'll try that tomorrow.

Checked it and it still only lists the individual tracks and not the album cover like it does with an .mp3 downloaded album.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've been trying to understand your problem and I am still not entirely clear what is or isn't working here.

I am still waiting for my car so can't help to test anything and I don't know what functionality exists in the car mp3 player. However if you store all the tracks in separate folders for each album with copies of the album art contained within it may help (all of my music is stored under a folder structure of Artist>Album or Various>Album. Also it may help to check the file properties as not all tracks get the correct set of properties when you rip them to mp3, dependent on what application you use to rip the CD. The properties should include Artist, Album, Genre. Also because this data comes from a central database in the web it can be inconsistent; such things as incorrect spelling meaning you can end up with multiple Artist names due to subtle differences in the spelling, genres that are completely arbitrary etc.

Dependent on the player functionality it may help to have m3u playlists set up for the albums, but this can be a pain to set up.

The player in my last car would play based on Album, or Folder, or genre, or Artist, or Playlist each of which has some value. Actually for general day to day use when I don't have a particular desire to hear a particular album I tend to stick 30gB of music tracks and put the whole thing on random play.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al,

I remembered reading this on the 208 Forum.....

"Hi, the artwork on your USB works fine from Windows Media PLayer but you must have the ID3 tags correctly defined in your music tracks. THere are some 'rules' that you need to observe for the artwork to be correctly displayed in your 208.
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Firstly, the artwork for each track must be no greater then 500 x 500 pixels. Any larger and the display in the 208 won't display it.
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Secondly, If your music tracks are in grouped folders then it is not enough to just have the artwork associated with the folder. it must be associated with each track.
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">You may find it useful to use a freeware application such as 'MP3TAG' to manipulate your music tracks/IDs."

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">I also remember that the drive does not like multiple sub folders. The albums should all be off the root directory with the tracks one layer down. Some tracks will also be ignored if special characters e.g. ? or quote symbols, are included in the tiles or the titles are too long. On page 241 of the manual it suggests that 20 characters is the maximum length of track titles. Also if any other files were on the USB from the manufacturer delete them or better still reformat the USB to FAT 16 or 32. Delete any video files or pdf's that are sometimes associated with albums.
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">On Compilation or Various artist albums make sure the Artist is the same or it will split the Album on the list. Our car is not unique in this as an iPod will dothe same.

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Hope that helps.

<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Mac

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi burty and Mac; it wasn't so much a problem as more of a mystery.

I transferred some CD albums onto my PC in .mp3 format.

The Album titles display (no Thumbnails) and when I click on the album title the list of tracks appears.

However, when I transfer these to my phone and tablet they show the thumbnails and open ok in just the same way as on the PC to show the track listing.

In the car though there's nothing shown but if I transfer the actual tracks to the memory stick then they do show and play.

Trouble is they show each track listed one after the other (no thumbnails but they are in album order).

Think I'll just buy .mp3 downloaded albums of my 'extra' favourites as I can't be doing with all that modifying.

Thanks for all that info though.......but then again, I might just have another look at it.

Al.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi.

So these .mp3 albums is that the whole album in one file? Ending in .mp3? Give me more details if you can and I will see what I can dig up.

It sounds as those the meta data is missing from the individual mp3 files that gives the details of the song etc. Might just need that data inserted.

Been in IT for 15 years, have my own IT and hosting company so very technical minded. Like a challenge, might be able to find a solution might not but I will try.

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah....sorry but I've just noticed that the album sleeve Thumbnails do not show on my PC.

All the albums are listed and if I single click on an album then a small thumbnail appears bottom left corner of the screen. If I double click then that opens the list of tracks.

However; the Thumbnails do show in place of of the album listings on all the transferred albums (phone/tablet).

Hi sam, clicking on the album title / properties shows 'File folder'. Clicking on a track title / properties shows 'MP3 Format Sound (.mp3)' .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al, sounds like the thumbnail is not tagged onto each track. Try opening up the track properties and copy the cover to all tracks.Sometimes the easiest way is to google the picture and copy that across. Note to make sure it is less than 500x500.

Mac.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Strange thing is that the Thumbnails don't appear in my Music file (PC) from when I originally transferred from CD to PC.

But when I transfer from my Music file to Phone/Tablet the thumbnails do appear on those transferred files.

So; no Thumbnails from CD to PC in the Music folder. Thumbnails when transferred to Phone/Tablet.

Using my Phone in the car plays without a problem via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al,

On the file list in the car if you scroll up and touch the file icon which does not show by default you should see the album or artist choices along with genre. You must also ensure that shuffle all tracks is off or it will list them all in total.
give that a go.

mac

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Mac, yes I've tried that. It just doesn't see the files on the USB drive unless I download them as 'Tracks' as opposed to 'Albums'.

The .mp3 downloaded albums I purchased from Amazon show as Thumbnails in the car which, when selected, open to show the tracks all listed.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm giving up on this!

I've just tested a download to my Tablet and it's not transferred the Thumbnails. Instead it's linked a picture of one of our granddaughters!

It would seem that Thumbnails only appear on my mobile phone now, and on closer inspection of these tiny icons, it would seem some of them are assigned by the phone from it's music gallery as there are a couple of duplicates.

So, if you transfer from a CD to PC to USB drive then you may have to transfer the tracks as opposed to transferring an album. IE: Open the album on your PC to display the track listing and transfer from there. You can highlight all the tracks and transfer 'en masse'. Tracks will then appear on the car screen in album order.

Any MP3 albums you have purchased and transferred to a USB drive will show a Thumbnail of the album and open when selected to show the track listing.

Thank's for your input guys.

Al.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does your album folder name contain a period (.). If so whatever is seen after the period is seen as an file extension and if it is not MP3 then it will be excluded by the system.

I am assuming that's why your albums are not showing when copying the album but do show when copying individual tracks. Rename the ablum folder so it does not contain any periods.

I had the same issue with the "Wednesday Morning 3A.M."

Because the folder name contained a period the folder was seen as a non music file and excluded. If I copied the tracks individually they worked ok. Renaming the folder to "Wednesday Morning 3AM" did the job.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that FidoFuz.

I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Incidentally; welcome to the club.

Al.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts