Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2010 Peugeot petrol 2008 I have had the car for nearlythree yearsand it has now done 17000 miles. Over about the last 5000 miles I have had to top the engine oil up with about 1 litre of oil, does this seem a lot? there are no oil leaks and the car runs just fine, I have never had to top up engine oil in a modern car before.
Should I be worried?

Alan

·
Registered
540 Posts
It can't be a 2010 2008 as they were introduced in summer 2013 (making the eldest just over 2 years old) - what engine does it have? The 1.2VTi has a recoded issue with crank float being an issue and oil consumption would be a symptom, having said that whilst 1L in 5000 miles does sound quite high, most manufacturers would suggest oil consumption can be 1L per 1000 miles and within tolerance.

If it's a 1.2VTi then I'd suggest a trip to Peugeot as there is a test they can do and outside of tolerance sees a warrantied engine replacement - I'm not sure anyone has recorded this issue with the 2008 yet but have a look around 208 forums where the issue is well known; Peugeot did sort it but I suspect early 2008's will still potentially be affected.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That does sound like a fair bit of oil to burn, particularly at such a low mileage.. Mind you 17000 miles in 5 years is particularly low. Does the car have any service history? Has it sat unused for a long period in that time? Check the obvious - look for leaks. Does it leave visible oil smoke on the overrun or under power. The first normally indicates wear on the valve stem oil seals, the second piston rings. It could be a stuck ring but my first suspicion would be valve stem oil seals, which can harden over time. To be perfectly honest, unless it gets much worse or leaves embarrassing clouds of oil smoke I would be tempted to live with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do relies I am on the wrong forum for this car, so thanks for the replies.
The car had only done 3000 miles when I got itand was serviced. There are no oil leaks and it does not leave any smoke on booting it or onthe overrun, I have done quite a bit of motorway driving recently, so guess this wont have helped.
Guess I will just live with it.
Thanks again Alan

·
Registered
398 Posts
Seems a lot...in 15.000 km a goodpetrol engine should "eat" at most 0.5 liters of oil...it function with petrol, not oil :)...I have a 1.4 petrol without turbine and in 20.000 km I have a difference of 2-300 ml in oil...The new petrol engine with turbine can eat more, as there can be leaks in oil from bearings...My advice is to get to service and ask them to make a full inspection...will cover you in case of failure because of oil leaks...
I remember we had 5 new Toyota Yaris on diesel at work, and in 4-5000 km there was 1 liter oil lost in turbine...the effect: 3 engines exploded (not fire explosion, cracked from top to bottom), and rest of 2 cars was in service after that, in order to change the oil with from 5W to 10W and bearing change cause was a flaw in manufacture.

So act carefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts