Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, our local village had a Christmas market. I drove my 2008 down and parked in a disabled spot as I am a blue badge holder. I found that by reversing in I couldn't open the boot sufficiently to extract my walking stick. I re-entered the car, started it up and moved the gear selector to 'A' to move the car forward. Nothing happened . The gear indicator on the dash remained at 'N' and the car would not move.I then tried Reverse but the indicator stubbornly remained at 'N'. No movement. I then tried moving the selector to Manual but the selector window still said 'N' and the car would not move. We then decided to walk ,albeit slowly, around the village to see the stalls etc. After about 2hrs I struggled back to the car expecting to have to ring the excellent breakdown service provided by the RAC for Motability. The car then behaved perfectly normally and we drove home. I will contact the dealer on Monday but I can guess already their response. "Neither we or Peugeot have ever heard of this fault before" I know that this will be their response because I had the same trouble twice in the 3 years I had my 3008. There are none so deaf as those who chose not to hear. I am only so glad that I was not stuck on a level crossing or somewhere else when lack of drive would have been fatal. I will keep you informed of progress but I repeat my warnings on previous threads that I would consider buying an ECG Peugeot or Citroen very carefully indeed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If this happened on one of my aircraft I can tell you we would be going nowhere. You may say why did you order another Peugeot after you had the previous problem. I had thought that after 6 years they would have sorted it (even though they knew nothing about it )and the general build quality and trim was very good. I have since reconsidered my position as it seems to me that their software in many respects seems outdated and unreliable.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This has happened a fair few times on the C4 Picasso's with EGS (same thing) - I think its down to not letting the gearbox fully engage neutral before stopping the engine so it's confused when you re-start it; from memory, it's a classic solution of turn the engine off and then on again which 'reboots' it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be Frank. It certainly seems ok again now. I did try the switching right off and on again a couple of times without success, which is why I decided to leave it for a while. Its more the uncertainty of will it/won't it that preys on your mind. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Forewarned is forearmed regarding this potential occurrence with the Electronic Gear Control system.

Thank you for posting it on here.

Al.

PS: I usually leave my EGC gear selector in either Auto or Reverse when I switch off as that prevents the car moving when parked, particularly on a hill or incline.
If I forget to move the selector to Neutral when I turn the key to start the engine, I always get a reminder in the drivers screen to do so.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My drive is on a slope so I likewise normally leave the car in Auto. Maybe why I haven't had the problem before. (I've done 6800 mls in 11 months)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Drove to my dealer today. A round trip of some 16 miles. I explained what had occurred. The service receptionist said (guess what) that they had had no previous problems like this. What a memory. I explained that I had had the same problem with my 3008 which I had also had from them. Blank looks. I will ask the service manager he said and disappeared into the depths of the garage. No he said he knows nothing about that but it may be covered in the software update which will happen when you have the car serviced in two weeks time. Question. Is there someway that the administrators of this site could liase with someone in authority at Peugeot to give sensible and non political answers to our reasonable queries. I am not sniping at Peugeot as I know that all manufacturers have their problems. They are producing technically complex items to a very high standard and things are sometimes bound to be less than perfect. We just need somewhere to get clear guidance as obviously the dealers are next to useless. As I have mentioned in a previous post I worked for Fords for 31 years and our dealers were certainly our weakest link between usand the people who mattered most , our customers.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's really an issue with the way the sales side is structured in the UK, your last comment sums it up nicely really; manufacturers should (and probably think) they control the customer interface but in reality they do not and its up to he good or bad the dealer group is and their ethos unless the manufacturer takes the issue seriously. We use an family Citroen main agent that have been in business for years and years, the showroom won't score top points on 'coffee quality' or how clean the ceiling tiles are so might not be 'on brand' but they are a fantastic dealer who employ properly decent people and superb technicians - that matters more to me than anything else. My Audi dealer became awful whilst the car was still in warranty and Audi were aware this was a country-wide problem; they brought in a new afrersales Director who read the dealers the riot-act and changed the culture for the better; that's why my A2 is nearly ten years old and still goes to the main dealer; many of the people are the same but their approach is much, much better and as the afrersales guys say 'you may not have Sales as your number one fan, but we think you're great' - they've had a pipeline of money from me that's exceeded the profit they made from the sale by a factor I dare not work out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had that same problem yesterday but will wait and see I think it's a software glitch that they wont acknowledge because some one never thought that theses set of factors would happen

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had my 2008 1.6 egc since March 1st, I took it down to Milton Keynes from Birmingham on Tuesday and when I arrived I had to do some backward and forward motions to get parked, then all of a sudden nothing, no gears at all, tried switching engine of2f and on several times but nothing, I called Peugeot assist who contacted the AA but by the time they came an hour later I had got it going , I left it for 20 mins or so and everything was fine, I let AA bloke have a look and he said it's more than likely a software issue, it is today at Peugeot for them to have a look as it was the 6 week check up today anyway, I will post thier findings later.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I have posted before I had this problem not only with my 2008 but with my previous 3008 but my dealer said that they knew nothing of it nor did Peugeot. At least your dealer is looking at it but I suspect that they will come up with the same answer. ie the problem does not exist. On an alternative post I have reported that my car went into reverse when forward was selected but was only to be told by the dealer that this was impossible. NO ITS NOT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Went to Peugeot today and there is a problem with the gear box , they have ordered a number of parts to fix the issue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When fixed please post what they did and what parts were changed . As I say my dealer denies that the problem exists except in my mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention was rhatvon occasions it will not change up through the gears when it is supposed to, like from 1st to 2nd will sometimes rev up to 3 and half thousand before it changes which can not be right, they say it's all connected, they have ordered pumps tubes and hoses so God knows what's wrong with it, but I will post once it's all done with a complete breakdown of what's been done.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Please a moderator joint all 3 topics with same problem. Pilot, please express in one topic, not 3 ! Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only responding to newly started threads. Can't control new threads started by others.

·
Registered
398 Posts
No problem but need to unite them in order to find some answers from PUG...if this happens to others, than is a serious malfunction (and dangerous too, because if you stop on railroad, you can be dead).I had no issues with EGR until now, software not updated as no serious problem identified to make me update (only maps updated), but I clearly don't want to experiment some like this when I cross a rail and the car in front of me makes me stop... never know if you have time to start the car in time...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Other threads have now been merged.

Please just use this thread for EGC (or ECG) comments, advice, reports etc.

Thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi All
I have now experienced my first EGC "Box full of Neutrals" issue.
I was parking in a multi story prior to catching a flight on Tuesday afternoon.
After a couple of manoeuvring adjustments, reversing into a slot, I proceeded to gather my carry on bag etc., I was parked slightly to deep in the bay. on restarting no gears could be engaged.
I manually pushed forward so as not to obstruct the bay behind me.
I called my dealer, who as normal responded with "Not heard of that one before". But he did add that a full ECU shutdown should clear the issue, adding that this can only be achieved by leaving the car and locking it for about 5 minutes, the crucial thing being that not only do you have to stop, you have to lock the car before the ECU will go into a full shutdown. (Note this sounds something that should begiven to all EGC users).
On my return Late the following day all was OK, so no call to the AA was needed.
I have a pre-booked appointment on Saturday for a drivers door seal issue, (Material Fault) they are going to check the on board log to see if anything untoward is reported. I will report any thing that may or not be found.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts