Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The What car reviewer made mention of 'the other cars in this class'. Which made me wonder what we consider to be the other cars in the class? I'm struggling to find many equivalents. I guess the class itself is 'mini SUV' (whatever that is). So the cars in the class must be:

Peugeot 2008
Renault Captur (the most obvious alternative I think)
Skoda Yeti (a fair bit bigger I think - and pretty style-less-ly styled IMHO)
Nissan Juke (also quite a bit bigger when I last checked)

Any More?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot:

Vauxhall Mokka (also quite a bit bigger)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi,

I always considered this type of car as a crossover (new class) (at least thats what I call it) and the immediate thing that springs to mind for me is Qashqai.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/search?dimensionIds=368&dimensionIds=483

·
Registered
155 Posts
Crapturd and Mokka are nearest in physical size, though both are available with much more powerful motors so more overlap the 2008s market rather than compete head on.I can't think of a direct, straight comparison for size, concept, spec, drivetrains and price.

The Juke perhaps, can be had ala with much more power and the pricing would suggest it's aimed at a different market. Ford are working on a crossover version of the Fester which much be a close rival, but again is liable to have a more powerful engine options if the engine range shadows that of the Fiasco.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah Don its called the Ford Ecosport and its uuurrrgly! Its like they took a fiesta and added 10 inches on the bottom of it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Auto express also favour the 2008 as the pick of the bunch in this review!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/65447/peugeot-2008-vs-rivals

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don Bernard said:
Crapturd and Mokka are nearest in physical size, though both are available with much more powerful motors so more overlap the 2008s market rather than compete head on.I can't think of a direct, straight comparison for size, concept, spec, drivetrains and price.

The Juke perhaps, can be had ala with much more power and the pricing would suggest it's aimed at a different market. Ford are working on a crossover version of the Fester which much be a close rival, but again is liable to have a more powerful engine options if the engine range shadows that of the Fiasco.
Not much more powerful in diesel.Only the Mokka has more power in a diesel engine and this is a particularly unrefined engine in the Vauxhall , on the road it doesn't feel much faster either. The Captur only has a 90hp diesel (a fiesta derivative is likely to be similar too)

·
Registered
155 Posts
160BHP Craptur diesel on the continent, not sure why it Not come here . Vauxhall are replacing their entire engine range.by 2016, starting with a new 3 pot this month. 3 families with 20 odd variants.

Ford 4 pot diesels are all made under licence from Peugeot, but their petrol variants are more numerous and powerful. Who's buying the 1.4 Fiesta diesel with 90 or 70 brake when the Ecoboos petrol is much quicker and equally frugal? With Euro 6 emissions regs almost upon us, the rising differential in the cost of the fuel, and the slowly declining sales as small bore petrol motors become cleaner, more economical and simpler, small capacity diesel days must be numbered. PSA have been Europe's premier diesel manufacturer for 2 decades,, yet haven't released an all new diesel unit since 2009, and that was the 3 litre Ford group V6 for the 407. Prior to that it was the DV family of 1.4 and 1.6 diesels 9 years ago. No new diesel of their own in nearly a decade must tell us something about which direction threatened market going - Ford as well, and Vauxhall too. Some big players placing their chips in the small-bore-high-output petrol future, and that's where the comparisons will become more and more relevant.

But sort of back to topic, I still can't think of a direct 2008 competitor, not one of comparable size and spec that's in the same price range.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I had a test <strike>drive</strike>ride in a Juke.

I say ride as it was so cramped and harsh that I didn't bother to drive it.

Very small boot, very cramped rear, rear is also very awkward to get in and out of.

You even felt a matchstick if you drove over it. Very firm and jiggly ride.

Looks like a frog having a squat.

Design of the gear stick housing is to replicate a petrol tank on a motor cycle.

Horrible to look at; horrible to ride in.

They do have a proper 4 wheel drive available though and a 'sports' version (Nismo).

The Ford EcoSport has been designed by some bright kid combining a Fiesta and his Tonka toy.

Designed mainly for the Indian market I believe.

The Vauxhall Mokka has had problems and recall and looks ugly and is expensive. What Car gave it 2 stars!

Peugeot 2008 it is then.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
All of them are considered a 'Juke' rival in the mags at the moment. I wonder how long before they refer to the Juke as a 2008 rival instead?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts