·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to write this for a while, and I now
have some time to do so.

The following
is some comments, listing the various things I think could be improved with the
touchscreen display in the 2008, and in particular the Sat-Nav.

Individually many items are quite
trivial, but in my own opinion they have a detrimental impact on the user
experience.

(This is not intended to be a collective whinge).

1. Slow. In general the system is too slow. It takes to long for the various screens to
appear. This is particularly annoying
with the sat nav.

2. Pop-ups. These are used too often for stuff that is
just providing information to the user, much of which is not of huge (if any) value. It's fine when you are not doing something
else on the screen, but really irritating when you are and an irrelevant pop-up
appears to stop you in your tracks. I
find this particularly common with the "contacts have been
synchronised" pop up message which often appears just when I am specifying
a location in the sat-nav. If you think
about the process - get in car, start car, plug in sat nav co-ordinates (while
the phone is connecting in the background).
Honestly I don't need to be told that the contacts have been synchonised
every single time how about providing messages in a less disruptive manner,
like just putting an icon up next to the signal strength icon on the screen
with the to say that they are?

3. DAB radio station
changes back if volume is adjusted just after changing channel. - This
is obviously a bug. If you change DAB radio
station, and change the volume within a few seconds of changing - often
necessary to adjust for different stations, the radio changes back to the station
you were previously set to. 4. Music player cuts off the end of the track - Playing stuff from MP3s I find that the end of the track is often cut off, i.e. not played. I know this occurs when playing on random play, it may also happen at other times. (I recall someone else complaining about this in the past).5. Sound quality is sh*te. The car needs better speakers as the music just has no depth.6. Searching through and selecting telephone contacts is virtually impossible. This desperately needs a voice control. -it is actually easier to find the contact on your phone and to dial from there.Sat Nav

7. That annoying
pop-up warning of the Sat nav being an aid every time you set a new route
really is not necessary. I do not need
to be told this every single time. (I do
appreciate this is a manufacturer protecting their arse solution).

8. Route preview. The preview is so small it's useless - If you set a route that is more than about 30
miles away it's not possible to see any detail.
Too much of the screen is given over (unnecessarily) to the three options for route
preferences.

9. It would be nice
for roads to be coloured in the accepted UK colours (blue motorway, red major roads,
Yellow minor roads. (maybe should be
permitted in preferences)

10. Alternative routes
for traffic - When warned about traffic on route I would like to see the impact
of a re-route, in map form. Why can't the system just show me on the map the
current and proposed routes? The text
display saying it has been modified by X miles is virtually useless.

11. After accepting a
route change for traffic there should be an easy option to revert to the
original route (fix the display of alternative routes and this would be
mitigated to some degree)

12. Heavy traffic
displayed is limited to the current route.
It should be possible to see traffic in adjacent or alternative routes.

13. The arrival time
at the destination is unbelievably inaccurate, and can be out by 30 minutes in
a 1.5 hour long journey . My Garmin sat
nav (which uses the same traffic information) can get it virtually spot on.

14. Information on
next turning is too slow. In town for successive
changes I am often past the junction before the information for the second change
is provided. Most modern sat navs get
over this by providing you information on what is coming next.

15. The fact that
anything over 800 yards away is shown as
1600 yards is irritating but you learn to live with it.

16. I would really
like to be able to plan a route on my phone or PC and send it to the car. But hey-ho, we can't have everything eh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally believe the infotainment system in the 2008 is the biggest letdown in an otherwise excellent car. The sooner Peugeot adopt TomTom and Apple's Car play or even the Android option the better, car makers should let the mobile phone companies design the software and hardware and they themselves concentrate on doing the car side of things, which they do best, because they sure as hell couldn't do a good job of an infotainment system, even the luxury car maker's don't get it right.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Excellent write up and well thought out. I agree with Johns comments something as high tech as the infotainment package needs to be assembled a as package not a mix and match of others bits and pieces, which from where I'm sitting looks exactly that.

I'm grateful now that the car the missus is getting hasn't got all these bits and pieces, it's only got a radio, mind you reading about another members problems he's having with that, I'll be lucky if the radio is working.

Andrew I thought you said you didn't have any issues with electrics, what the heck is all that about mate.

I've got a small Roberts Dab Radio works fine and a Jabra Bluetooth thingy that sits over the sun visor. I use them in the MGF, I'm happy to let you have them if that helps.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As i've said before I think that PSA employ Airbus programmers at weekends to do their programming. At least you won't be able to get a 2008 into a deep stall.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uncletone said:
I'm grateful now that the car the missus is getting hasn't got all these bits and pieces, it's only got a radio, mind you reading about another members problems he's having with that, I'll be lucky if the radio is working.

Andrew I thought you said you didn't have any issues with electrics, what the heck is all that about mate.

]
I don't have reliability issues with the electrics. I do think the functionality could be improved.I presume you can tell the difference?

I think you are determined to have problems with your 2008.I hope you are disappointed. For the record Car buyer rated the 2008 as 6th most reliable car in their last survey. Edited by: burty

·
Registered
506 Posts
Andrew

You don't have any issues with the electrics

1. In general the system is too slow.
  2. DAB radio station changes back if volume is adjusted just after changing channel. - This is obviously a bug.
  3. Music player cuts off the end of the track

4. Sound quality is sh*te.

5. Searching through and selecting telephone contacts is virtually impossible.

6. Route preview. The preview is so small it's useless

7. I would really like to be able to plan a route on my phone or PC and send it to the car. But hey-ho, we can't have everything eh?

What the hell are these then, they are all run by electrics, one way or another, unless you've got one that runs on gas.

I know we are picking at straws here, and I'm not having a go at you, and if it seems that way please accept my apologies.

Yes I will accept that the way that they are interconnected / functionality is a tad poor, but they are still run by electrics that don't talk to one another. Call it what you like, the things don't work like they should do. They were designed by a computer engineer who has a knowledge of electrics, he isn't a plasterer or decorator, he's an electrical computer engineer.

And like you I hope that my missus car is fine and I'm sure it will be. But if it isn't, I will light the forum up, especially if I don't get any customer satisfaction.

Lets be honest, if I thought the car was that bad, I wouldn't have even driven to the showroom. They are great cars, but are let down by the fact that they don't do enough R&D. But like you I think that they've improved their range since they sacked the CEO from the 90's after he nearly bankrupted the company. Since then they've come on leaps and bounds, and I too, saw that report in Car Buyer, hence why I went for the 2008 in the first place. But why do they have to let themselves down on the simple things, I suppose as you said, "we can't have everything eh".

If I'm honest, a lot of what I say is tongue in cheek, and not aimed at anyone in particular...unless he's a French Electrician.

But once again thanks for highlighting the issues you are having with your system. It appears to be a bit of tech too far.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I give up.

I have approaching 30000 miles on my nearly 2 year old 2008 with no reliability issues (I wouldn't expect anything else from any new car at that point)

I like to think I can provide some well reasoned, useful information for other users on this forum, based on Real first hand experience, and not preconception, misinformation, speculation or prejudice.

In general this forum is quite quiet, and for good reason; there are a few complaints about Peugeot service (quite justifiable IMHO) and a few complaints about the ECG box but aside from that and a few whinges about the lack of an arm rest or decent cupholders,there's not a huge volume of issues with the 2008 so not a great deal to talk about.

A of banter is fine, but I would ask that you refrain from this excessive negative posting based on whatever preconception of the car you appear to have even before having taken delivery.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Andrew,

I'm pleased to hear that you have had a lot of trouble free motoring as I have had with my Audi's on average 35k miles per year. But you need to chill out and get a life. Life can be dull at the best of times.

There isn't a lot goes on here for possibly one of the reasons you state, they don't break down, which is good news. But lets have some posts whether negative and positive and open discussion on our vehicles but obviously you don't have a sense of humour and so with that in mind, I'll take your advice and just not bother posting anything in the future good bad or indifferent.

Have a good day

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this post Burty as it just saved me typing exactly the same thing.

More than happy with the car all except the woeful infotainment system. Seems very much like they ran out of motivation when designing/developing it. Almost expect these annoyances from a 10yr old car not one made in 2015!

I would also add to your list the option of adding a photo to the home screen is almost pointless as u get to see for all of a few seconds when it first switches on. Most new cars let you add photos as a wallpaper, not a new concept as it's been done since windows xp!

I've also yet to get any sound out of my Samsung Galaxy S6 when connected via Bluetooth or cable. It sees music files but no sound comes from the speakers when playing.

Im guessing an update sorting any of these problems is highly unlikely

·
Registered
30 Posts
burty said:
4. Music player cuts off the end of the track - Playing stuff from MP3s I find that the end of the track is often cut off, i.e. not played. I know this occurs when playing on random play, it may also happen at other times. (I recall someone else complaining about this in the past).
I've had this problem as well, but got rid of it by avoiding variable bit rate (VBR), even though the manual actually specifies that the system will play them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered here just to agree with the OP. We love our Peugot 2008, but the infotainment is so utterly abysmal it's painful. We find it incredibly slow, unintuitive, with ridiculous menus & layouts. Very disappointed!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Andeh123 said:
I registered here just to agree with the OP. We love our Peugot 2008, but the infotainment is so utterly abysmal it's painful. We find it incredibly slow, unintuitive, with ridiculous menus & layouts. Very disappointed!
The original post is more than 2 years old. The infotainment system has been changed since then.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pughu said:
Andeh123 said:
The original post is more than 2 years old. The infotainment system has been changed since then.

I hope it has improved in the 2016 models.

The system in my 2017 308 GTi is not significantly better, it still has many of my original complaints. Honestly I am quite disappointed that they couldn't do something better with the music player, given that far better functionality has been available in relatively cheap music players for many many years. My biggest complaint about the system in my 308 is the time it takes to start up. I can start the car and reverse off the drive before the system has started.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts