Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if these seem stupid questions, but can anyone tell me the reasons for opting for a different wheel size to that offered as standard or why some specs state different wheel sizes?

Does a larger diameter give a smoother ride by minimising the effects of uneven road surfaces, or would the lower profile tyre give a harder ride?

Evader

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks and ride comfort. Bigger alloys lool sportier and a bit better wheras a smaller rim has a beter ride....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
A 15" wheel will have a narrower tyre with deeper side walls so you will get a more comfortable ride but not such good cornering (due to the extra flexing) or grip (due to the narrower tread). 195/65 R15 for instance.

17" have a firmer ride due to the narrower side wall. They grip better due to the wider tread and there is less 'roll' when cornering. 205/50 R17 for instance.

15" are better suited to the less powerful engines whereas the 17" work better with the more powerful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Haha I think allans answer was a bit more technical... :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bigger wheels also mean dearer tyres when you replace them. I would compare prices for replacement tyres

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bigger doesn't always mean more expensive - my A2 runs 185/50R16 81V which is not a big size but as it's the only car to do so they cost a fortune - we used to have an A2 with 17" wheel on 205/40ZR17 84V (bigger tyres but much more common and way cheaper. Generally all tyre and wheel combinations on a model of car have the same rolling radius so a larger wheel gets a shallower tyre wall; the main reason is cosmetic, lower profile tyres generally have a greater width so more mechanical grip but at the expense of steering feel (I've driven enough Audi S-Line models to know the differnce between mechanical grip and feel!) and less compliance over bumpier roads.

Often, you need different damper and spring rates to support different tyre and wheel combinations but many manufacturers don't bother.

·
Registered
242 Posts
2008 use 195/60/16 or 205/50/17 if you go for the upgrade ,You looking at about £ 50 extra for each pair of tyres you replace.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to all for the explanations - much appreciated!

My ex-demo car will come to me fitted with the 16" wheels, so I guess that is a mid-way option. I don't think I have ever driven anything but the 'normal' 15" wheels.

I have now seen photos of 'my' car as delivered to the dealers and do know it was registered on March 18, so in theory should be ready for me to collect on 18 June - just too excited to wait as although technically it is not really new, it will be my first car with a current 'year' plate

Evader

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Gents,While I'm still waiting for the delivery (
) I looked around to see what kind of alloy wheel I should replace the original steel ones with.
Based on Peugeot catalog the tire size will be 195/60 R16. Based on some other webpages the original steel wheel is6,5x16 4x108 ET 20.
I like the design of this alloy wheel but i'm a bit worried on the ET number...this MAK seems to have ET40.

Could any of you who has alloy wheels by default confirm it's sizes (or part number if visible)?
Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have bought two extra Peugeot OE alloy 16" wheels for Humpty recently... the price of these German manufactured wheels is shocking!... but if you are keen enough the part number is 96783981xC

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks ejohn, do you happen to know it's with and Ed #?
There's not much I can find searching by part number being an original Peugeot item.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Please remember if you change the rims to notify the insurance company as they love to duck out of paying if you have an "incident".

·
Registered
74 Posts
szucspe said:
Thanks ejohn, do you happen to know it's with and Ed #?
There's not much I can find searching by part number being an original Peugeot item.
Hi szucspe... Not sure if this will help... but embossed into the wheels inner are the following

PS063 K9
BTG

PEUGEOT
AISi 7Mg

6.5J16 CH4-20
GERMANY

also somewhat
but its certainly a 6.5 x 16

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for the late response, ejohn, and thank you for your help...I owe you one.I'll have to choose another set of alloys due to the ET number things.

BTW, just asked quotation for the original Peugeot ones; they seem to be way more expensive then most of the German/Italian ones. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts