can any one recommend how to get rid of it
without making it worse? thanks.

mezza..

2008 allure 1.6 outo e-hdi stop n start system 6 speed nimbus grey

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Mezza

Should think you will have no problems buddy... your question inspired me to attempt a tidy-up of my wheel that was accidently dropped on its face a while ago,, so if your mark is on the raised and polished surface.. should be only a little problem to sort.

Here's t'one I dropped earlier

Left me feeling annoyed or what ! So after some 'blind' experimentation with differing 'cures' I realised that the surface is highly polished alloy right through - rather than a coating ( no wonder the wheels are so expensive )... so out came the model drill... and I sanded down the pitting... little at a time...
leaving the marks looking by then a total mess... then just polished out the surface to remove the abrasive paper disc marks..
Here's the end result..

The surface is not quite so 'flat' as before the damage.... no doubt more time could sort that if it mattered...

Oh and the magic finishing polish... Tesco's kitchen cleaning paste from a yellow bottle
... amazing what these girls keep under the sink..

The reason the wheel is off today is that I had just bought a set of AlloyGators - the wheel scratches had made me aware and worried of how easily these beautiful wheels can be damaged...
You may notice that the wheel's rim is hidden... some issues there... and there are a few ( perhaps useful
) comments I can happily add if anyone else is considering fitting a set...

available in a range of colours and the white one's look fantastic with a white car .........

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi ejohn & barr
this is the pic of my hairline scratch on my wheel NOT as bad ,looking

as yours EJOHN golly id be really realy upset if it was that bad EJOHN lol

hey EJHON MATE you did a good job on your wheel i might make a right mess
of mine even tho nothing there lol others might say but id know it was

and it would bug me lol no rest till its sorted lol do u think id have to

use fine sandpaper? as for cleaner stuff under sink there be no problem
cant see the shelves lol

thanks for your input EJOHN - BARR

MEZZA..

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
ejohn: that's a great result

mezza: you may find that will come out with some TCut or metal polish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks al

thats wat i thought not as bad looking

as EJOHNS it bugs me that being there lol

mezza...

2008 1.6 allure outo 6 speed e-hdi nimbus grey

·
Registered
74 Posts
mezza said:
hi ejohn & barr
this is the pic of my hairline scratch on my wheel NOT as bad ,looking

as yours EJOHN golly id be really realy upset if it was that bad EJOHN lol

hey EJHON MATE you did a good job on your wheel i might make a right mess
of mine even tho nothing there lol others might say but id know it was

and it would bug me lol no rest till its sorted lol do u think id have to

use fine sandpaper? as for cleaner stuff under sink there be no problem
cant see the shelves lol

thanks for your input EJOHN - BARR

MEZZA..

That looks a bit messy Mezza... but agree that it should polish out with T-cut or similar. I found one of those hand held model drill kits that come with a case of small acccessories (sanders, polishing heads etc.) so very useful to easily get to the best polished finish...

suggest you ease your way through it starting at the least scored end and doing a little at a time to gain your confidence... it'll be great again when its done..... just needs plenty of time and patience.

Let's have another photo when your done mate

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had never heard of Alloygators until I read the above post, but they do look interesting!

However having had a look at the fitting video it does look like a rather long job though, which I guess may not be quite as easy, or as straightforward, as they make it appear

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
By the time you get to the 5th wheel you'll be good enough to do mine as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi again guys
this post is about my wheel again on our 2008

as stated above its a sratch mark i was told
toothpaste would fetch it out n a fine cloth

cause the toothpaste did NOT contain anything

in it to harm the wheel this we did n it didnt work

u mentioned metal polish does that mean any or

other?

mezza..

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I would use Autosol.

http://www.autosol.com/

PS: I removed the dull centre to one of the rings on our ceramic hob with it the other day. It came up like new.

PPS: The only toothpaste that might work is if it contains abrasives to polish your teeth. But I don't recommend using Autosol on your toothbrush.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had fitted Humpty with AlloyGators a short time back, I had also been in touch with Curt Rathbone at AlloyGators about the possibility of a club discount.
He reminded me ( its in the website 'blurb' ) to the fact that AlloyGators are not primarily recommended for machine polished or diamond cut wheels.... though many other AlloyGator customers with such wheels seemingly do nonetheless.
He helpfully send me a few photos from a Citroen DS3 customer ( who had fitted Gators to that car's similar 2008type alloy wheels ) and thereby had gained the benifit of the wheel not becoming seriously chipped............that thanks to the AlloyGators protection....

Heres the one with the AlloyGator part removed and showing that it had saved the wheel from expensive-to-repair damage.

However he also pointed out that the photo does show some slight markings to the rim finish, this after some six months of prior fitment... and this possibly, but not certainly, from road grit sitting under the AlloyGators which when correctly fitted should have a 0.5 to 1mm clearance gap pocket at the rim edge.

Like Allen says they look good......

These AlloyGators will certainly save Humpty's rims from knocks that could otherwise take chunks out of the wheel rim surface, but the possible downside is that the fitted AlloyGators potentially could hold in moisture and grit which in time will spoil the rims newly-hidden and to-be-protected polished surface.

When fitting them I filled - as best I could - that small clearence gap with clear silicon - hoping to keep out such damaging damp grit - it will certainly be easy enough to check the results after the winter, and if I do find minor damage (as in the photo) I could polish it out with little trouble.

Time will tell.

Edited by: ejohn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts