Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and wondered if you would be able to help.
I've test driven the 2008 with the 1.6 diesel 100, 1.282 and110engines but haven't been able to find a 1.2 130 to test drive for comparison. My preference so far is the 1.2 110 engine, it's smooth, quiet, flexible, economical and easy to drive.

I would appreciatehearingfrom anyone who has driven or owns a 1.2 130 what your experiences are with this particular engine. Is it any noisier than the 1.2 110 when cruising or when accelerating ?

Is there any significant mpg differences between the 110 and 130 ?

Is there anything else of note you can think of between the 110 and 130 ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there,
I'm the happy owner of a 1.2/130hp, but I can't offer a comparison with the 110, having never driven one. Performance aside, my main reason for choosing the 130hp over the 110 is its 6-speed gearbox, with its taller top ratio resulting in quieter motorway cruising. From what I've read in other (French) forums, there isn't much of a difference in economy between the two engines.

/Ben

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Ben.
Do you notice much engine noise from the 130 engine, is it smooth and quiet throughout the rev range ?

What is the gearing like, for example, how many revs per 1000 rpm in 4th, 5th and 6th gear ?

I'm hoping for a test drive in the 130 next week, any advice on things to look out for or test ?

Much appreciated.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there,

The engine is VERY quiet at constant speed. You only notice it when accelerating hard, and then it has a nice growling tone to it... Being a 3-cylinder, it's not that smooth at very low revs, but it has bags of torque all the time, a bit like a diesel, except it keeps going and doesn't die at 3000rpm. There is hardly any turbo lag, either. As for the gearing, I can't seem to find the 1000rpm speed, but 1 can tell you that it does 2750rpm @ 130km/h in 6th, which gives approximately 47km/h @ 1000rpm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi,

I have had a 1.2 / 130 Allure since the summer and I love it. I've done about 5000 miles and have averaged 47mpg (mostly non-motorway local driving). The 6-speed gear box is great (the 6 speed gear box comes with a stylish metal gear knob which looks great but is freezing on cold mornings!). The only issue I sometimes experience is when I want to pull out of junctions with more accelleration than normal as the car seems to pause before launching itself (which is very noticeable to everybody in the car!).

I waited about 18 months for this specific engine to be launched and I have no regrets (I did contemplate the 110 but couldn't test drive one as they were so new). It is possibly the best car I have owned.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I love my 308 with the 1.2L 130 engine and it's mated to the EAT6 auto gerabox which is just magic.
I'm getting and average of 44MPG at present although it's a heavier car than the 2008and not fully run-in yet.

No problem with accelleration at all and just silent when cruising.

Al.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Got the 110 Pure Tech. When I first got it I notice that there wasmore engine noise and acceleration lagwhen you had theclimate controlon whilst driving around town.This was the onlydriving conditionI had any realperformance issues. After driving it for 5 months this has all disappeared. Even the tyre noise has reduce now these all weather tyres have worn a bit. A lot more responsive then my old 308 1.6HDI SE

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just out of interest, how many mpg are you averaging Marie? Edited by: KateinNotts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of helpful information, thank you to everyone.
I've nowtest driven both the 110 and 130 and there is a difference in their performance andalso engine noise.

The 110 is almost silent when idling and smooth and quiet in normal driving, it does became noticeably more vocal when revs increase to around 5000 rpmwhenit's moderately loud but not unpleasantly so. The 130 I tried could be heard at idle and it was also a bit lumpy which indicated a possible fuel quality issue (e.g. a mixture of different brands of fuels in the tank which results is dilution of the additives and performance of the fuel mix). The 130 pullednoticeably more strongly than the 110, the 130 had some additional engine noise increase with hard accelerationbut again not unpleasantly so although the fuel may have been acontributing factor.

There was a slight delay of about 1 second from pressing the throttle to the floor and feeling the torque coming in in both the 110 and 130, the 110 was more subtle due to it being a slightly quieter engine and there being less torque available whereas the 130 there was a noticeable kick the back surge of torque. Both engines pulled any gear from low revs without hesitation or fuss.
The 130 6 speed gear box felt slicker than the 110 5 speed gear box although both were fine.

One issue that is of concern and that regards the clutch bite height. The 110 clutch bite height was close to the top whereas the 130 clutch bite height a little lower, neither has much feel atthe bite point.It meant the 110 5 speed clutch was sometimes a nuisance to control properly, over revving resulted at times.

How do you find the clutch bite height in your 110 and 130 ?
Too high ?

I asked at the dealership about a couple of the issues raised in previous posts. Ben, your 130 should be smooth at lowrevs,it's an issue that's been raised with them before. Kate, they suggested the same advice for your car. They suggested tryinga tankful of a good brand of super unleaded that contains a good detergent such as Shell, Esso, BP etc. which will help clean the inside of the engine. Run down your existing fuel first and then fill up. If you are still experiencing the same issues your dealer/garage may need to investigatematters. Hope this is of help for you both.

Edited by: Light

·
Registered
316 Posts
Clean the engine??????? A new car with few 000miles???? That don't sound very good if that's the advice the dealer gave

·
Registered
284 Posts
That makes very interesting reading Light, thank you for your efforts.

I confess that I buy supermarket fuel all the time. Next time I need to fill up I'll try some expensive stuff and monitor the results. The accelleration delay probably only happens about once a month, only at times when I'm really needing to "boot it" at a busy junction / roundabout. However, it really does push you back into your seat and it is slightly alarming. It only happens when setting off from stationary.

I bought the 130 as I wanted the reassurance of having extra power when overtaking (I frequently encounter agricultural vehicles on the way to work). I haven't been disappointed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kate, it could your car occasionally activatesthe ABS/ESP/traction control briefly and when it releases the car launches ahead as a result of the high torque characteristics of the engine.
How do you find the clutch bite height in your 130 ?
Too high ?

How would you describe your car's engine, isthe engine smooth and quiet/silent when idling, snarls and noisywhen accelerating ?

Any contributions from anyone else please ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I turn on the ignition the car sounds like a diesel - it certainly doesn't sound smooth! However, it is pretty quiet at all other times.

I haven't noticed a problem with the clutch bite height - maybe it is something you get used to?

Do you think that the pause / launch business is normal or should I mention it to my dealership?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gosh like a diesel,how long does it take to quieten down ?
The 130 I drove sounded a bit rough initially and then improved and it had supermarket fuel in it, not sure if there is a connection. The dealership service mechanic reckons they should all be smooth. The 110 I drove was silky smooth and quiet almost silent as soon as it was started. It seems strange there is so much difference from the two engine configurations especially when idling with no load. The 110 had a well know brand of fuel in its tank, I checked.
Must admit I didn't have any obvious issues with the clutch height & bite with the 130, the 110clutch felt higher and required some concentration when tendering the bite.

The dealership would ideally need to reproduce the problem you encounter. If you can make it happen at will and demonstrate it occurring they will be able advise. If it is the ABS/ESP etc. cutting in and wheel spin is being detected then it may be behaving as designed albeit somewhat unsubtlety.If it's a safety concern for you then it's worth mentioning to your dealership they are there to help.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It is definitely diesel-like when I turn on the ignition (I was so alarmed when I first got it that I even made the salesman check that I had been given the correct car). That is the only time it sounds a bit rough (we are talking seconds, nothing more). A colleague suggested that it is because of the new engine design(?) but if it will bother you then you need to investigate it further.

I'm not doing much to sell the car am I?!! Please be assured that it it is lovely to drive and I have absolutely no regrets about buying it. I will certainly try better fuel in it but I only filled up yesterday (and no more work for a week -yay) so it could be a couple of weeks before I need petrol again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would expect a slight lag in throttle response, it is after all a small turbocharged engine with over 100bhp/ litre, ultimately in order to achieve that the turbo cannot be instantly responsive unless Peugeot/ Citroen started spending real money on more complex technology to reduce the lag further.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Katie,
It's avg. around 45mpg which I think isgood considering it's nearly all London driving. Fuel is definitely lasting longer compared to my previous diesel

Hi Light,

Clutch biting point seems fine to me. Gears was a bit hit & miss to start but that too is fine now. After my previous car problems (a 308 diesel withDPF issues, blown turbo etc) I stopped using supermarket/cheap fuel.
Really happy with the engine. I too wondered if I should of got the 130 but the 110 is more than adequate. Great for driving around London & responsive enough for motorways.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would choose 110 hp at any hour, and not 130...made a drive test, 110 is more fluent and quiet.130 sounds like was forced a lot for that power, and the sound is getting very annoying from 1800rpm.
:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
^^^ The only annoying sounds I get when actually driving my 1.2 / 130 come from my passengers..... nothing noticeable from the engine! Edited by: KateinNotts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice one Kate.
The links below are for a long term test of the Peugeot 308 with the 130 engine, I couldn't find any reviews for a Peugeot 2008 130.

Note that "Honest John" always uses super unleaded petrol his cars.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/peugeot-308/

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/peugeot-308/24th-november-2014-another-1600-miles-in-our-308-12-puretech-130/

Extract from the above link:

This is a phenomenal engine. Ford's 3-cylinder 1.0 EcoBoost is amazing. Renault's 4 cylinder 1.2TCe is beautifully smooth and economical. VAG's 1.2TSI 90 and 110 are excellent. Yet PSA's 3-cylinder 1.2 PureTech 130 outdoes them all by somehow managing to be smoother, more powerful and more economical all at the same time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts