Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's slightly concerning - if you look on the C4 owners club there are extensive posts about the EGS (which is the same) failing the first sign of which is a whine at about 70km/h (40mph), it doesn't matter which gear you are in as it's the input shaft bearing; I had hoped Peugeot-Citroen had sorted this, perhaps they haven't.

Back to the Peugeot dealer I say...

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is my second EGS car. I had a 3008. The gearboxes on both the old car and my 2008 are silent in operation. I note that several of our members have had noisy EGS boxes. This is not normal and you should make sure your dealer fixes the car to your satisfaction. No modern car should have a noisy gearbox, even 4wd. Don't put up with it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi,

Got the EGS with 6 speed, I have tested it starting 45km/h till 100km/g, with steps of 1km/h, on freeway, in order to discover how it changes speed, and if the shift is calibrated.

My impressions:

When go on plane ground, without forcing the acceleration, the tendency was to change shifts at 1500rpm.

When started to climb, the shift was changed at 1600-1800 rpm sometimes, one time was shifting down, accelerated at 1800rpm, than shifted up.

The sensitive area was at 5th gear, somewhere at 69-70km/h when changing to 6th gear was sometimes delayed until 1900rpm, but this was identified to be only when I was keep accelerating, and the difference between pilot settings and actual speed was higher than 5km/h. The change was made instantly when i have relaxed the acceleration pedal.

Hope this test helps you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well good news I dont think parts are on back order eg - bearings for the gearbox no time scale for the parts so the car has been in for 10 working days so far and not fixed??????????

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, the gear doesn't matter as it's on the drive side - it's so disappointing that Peugeot/ Citroen haven't sorted this out yet, the problem has been a known one for 3-4 years in C4 Picasso's and I hate to say it for those who sink their own cash into cars, lot's of traders won't take the EGS C4 models in part-exchange; when we sold ours the first question we were asked was 'it's not the EGS, is it...?' to the point where the first thing I said after a few inquiries was 'It's manual, not EGS' to which the response was undeniable relief...

When out of warranty (PSA won't acknowledge it as a defect) if you catch this early enough it's a £800 bearing rebuild, if it wrecks the gearbox you can trebble that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any solution from Peugeot yet?

I have the same whine problem too - car done 500 miles and less than a month old!

Were they on top of this - i.e. known problem and provide courtesy car whilst you're out of action?

Is it a safety issue?

Thanks

Julia

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rang peugeot on Monday and got the standard waffle promised a call before 5pm wednesday. Its Wed morning still no reply yet nothing from the dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry forgot to say they did offer courtesy car but when I rang to see what was happening was told that it might have been better to have waited while the fault settled down--I thought the "let the fault develop and see if it dissapeared" talk from service personnel had stopped.
I had noticed that some extended warranty firms will not cover the EGC boxes???????????????????

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have buyed the extended 3 years guarantee...The contract specify in clear that the things not covered are curently the usual ones that get damaged in time: tyres, rubber holders, filters....it does NOT say that EGC is NOT covered. Instead, it says that cover anything that initial guarantee covers...so i guess that means EGC is covered.
The cost was a little high...460 EURO...but + 3 more years in assistance and guarantee...makes a good deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For interest the gearbox has had its new bearings now they cannot get it to work properly. Gearbox coming out again on Tuesday for second attempt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi
Its back from the dealers still whining going to take out a demonstrator tomorrow to compare noises.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
thank you for the update

am waiting for my dealer to come back with a date to see my car that has a similar noise problem - we never heard it, when we took two separate identical cars to the one we bought for test drives, as part of our buying decision process.

will keep you all posted

1 - 20 of 60 Posts