Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a new 2008 1.6 HDi EGC (semi auto gearbox) that is 3 weeks old and we've noticed that between speeds of 30 - 40 mph there is a whining noise coming from the drivetrain/engine area (i.e. it's not wind, or road noise from the tyres) - not loud but enough to be noticeable.

Has anyone experienced similar? If so was there a solution? How helpful was your Peugeot dealer? How long did it take to fix?

Many thanks

Julia

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hope you have more luck than I have had as you can see the gearbox has been out and bearings fitted they now cannot get it to work.
3 weeks tomorrow it went in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi
Mines back from dealers still whing not 100% as bad but close. They have asked I take out a demonstrator tomorrow and listen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What is the VIN number of yours? I want to check something...See if there is a connection as a certain VIN have problems, and other does not (maybe they changed the supplier or something.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine goes in to the dealer on Monday - will keep you posted - never heard the noise in the two separate test drives in two different 2008's before we purchased.

Will have to wait and see their response

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi - Got the car back from the dealer today having been out for a test drive with an engineer to hear the problem. He had checked their online faults alerts system and no noise problems from 2008's have been reported to Peugeot HQ.

He accepted there was a whine noise but could not place it. However he did say it was not the bearings as if they were worn/faulty we would have heard a rumbling noise.

He didn't know if Peugeot would classify this as a characteristic noise of the 2008 EGC gearbox!! Apparently the French don't tend to complain as he gave examples of issues with other UK Peugeot models where they had complaints (e.g. Twangs from fuel tanks) from the UK but when presented to Peugeot UK, the response was we don't hear of those in France so it's just a characteristic of the car!

He couldn't get another identical car in the dealership stock to test drive and see if the same noise was there - therefore confirming it as characteristic (not saying it's OK though) rather than a fault.

So please all 2008 owners - manual or EGC - are you aware of any whining type noises coming from your car whilst driving (accelerating or slowing) particularly in 30 - 40mph range?

The only thing he could point to was it may be the synchromesh but if they replaced it (as it's not broken as my gearbox works!) the likelihood was the noise would still be there unless it was caused by the one in my car being at the extreme of the manufacturers accepted tolerance levels and the new one being well within!

So we'll wait and see how it develops and until he can get a test drive in an identical car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well mine must have been reported to peugeot and it sounds exactly like yours and they are to fit new gearbox after two attempts to cure it. Get onto customer car peugeot and push them it is not acceptable to produce a car which is faulty and then say it might be within acceptable limits. It will not be when it fails out of warranty. If a gearbox whines in my humble opinion it is not going to cure itself it can only get worse. I was going to get my car tested by indipendant engineer through CSMA £99 and get a written report on the noise having paid so much for a vehicle I expect it to perform as the demonstartor which lead me to buy it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LikewiseI have a 1.6 HDI Allure done about 15,000. Horrible whining noise from transmission. Going to take it to the dealer to sort out will let you know

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm afraid "madams car" makes a whining noise.

I am an engineer and whilst the box/transmission does make a whining noise around 2k - 3k rpm, I wouldn't say its a bearing noise but I have noticed recently that when it does eventually change gear there is a definate clunk as it selects gear.

I've taken it upon myself to run with madams car for 4-5 weeks since we collected it on the 26th June (2700 miles), to see if anything falls off etc. In the last three weeks I've covered just over 1k miles per week with it and as I get towards my month of breaking madams car in, pardon the pun, I will be returning to my dealer as this is one of the issues I will be discussing with him.

Lets hope that it is the gearbox, as it's not one of its most endearing qualities and a new one might cure it....one can but wish.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As you know I have had issues with my gear box. My car has now done 11,000 easy miles and for the past 3K or so I have had a whine which I can only compare to an old OB Bedford coach. Most of you will not know what I mean by that but it was a persistent whining when under load that was caused by a noisy diff. My car is under lease so I really don't care if the bottom falls out of the gearbox but had I paid thousands of pounds for this vehicle I would be down to my dealer in a heartbeat as it will probably fail just after the warranties have expired. Modern vehicles should be virtually silent in transmission noise. Don't put up with it .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks Alan, I know exactly what you are saying about the Bedford OB Bus.

Its difficult to determine whether its diff whine or just the engine, but it is nowhere as whiny as the bus. But with the amount of joy owners have had with this box, like I said come the end of the month I will be dropping in and asking said dealer just to have a listen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all

I had similar issues to you - had it in to two separate dealerships to look at - the second one said that the noise was turbo whine - nothing to do with the gearbox!

I have always had petrol autos before and never a diesel auto - he reassured me it was a normal turbo whine in a Peugeot diesel and when I looked amazed as to why it was acceptable and didn't quite believe him, he offered to take me out in a 2008 Manual diesel - exact same car and engine only a manual, not a diesel.

Well he replicated the whining noises at low speeds (and rev dependent) that I have been hearing and since it's the same engine but in manual form then I have to believe it's not the auto box and given the low number of complaints about it - are there complaints from manual box owners about whine? - then I have to accept it is a characteristic of this type of engine.

I suppose it was noticeable to me as I have never come across turbo whine before as I always drove other brands, normally apirated petrol autos.

Hope this helps you all

J

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have asked an old engineer that works in reconditioning turbines about whining...He said to go to a good service that does not say: "IS NORMAL", and check the tubes from intercooler.
It might be that one tube to have a small crack or not properly fixed.
Also BMW, Renault, Skoda...a lot of producers...have this problem at some cars...80% from them is from intercooler flexible tubes.
Hope this helps.

PS. The turbine is not whining if is OK...if something is wrong, you will see a blue smoke (and a lot of smoke)...in that moment go to service or will damage the turbine and engine.
PPS. The gearbox is not whining in case that you hear the whine at certain rpm and does not hear it constantly.
PPPS. The whining at certain speed/rpm means that the sound generated have a frequency that can be heard very good...this means pressure/air pressure/oil pressure/friction parts...I incline to go to air pressure, as there is a very small chance to have damaged parts so many of you... so please check the tubes from intercooler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 1.6 hdi egt allure does it too.... I'm putting up with it for now as mine is leased as well, and will not be buying it at the end of term.
Not good though for a new car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I bought 2008 vti 1.6 petrol only done 3000km 2017 model, the gearbox whining in 3rd gear .when the car is stationary at idling speed one can hear a rattling noise .noise only stop when one depress the clutch. I have book it in for evaluation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts