Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just upgraded my old Win7 laptop to the new Windows 10.
Upgrade was free but I have read of a couple of basic items, like Solitaire, that you now have to pay for if you want it to be advert-less.
So far it all seems to be working fine but I would be grateful to hear any tips or problems etc from anyone else that'sinstalled this new version.

I'll be testing a few programmes to see how good it runs and then upgrade my main Win8.1 PC.

So far, so good.

Al.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If they don't give free Solitaire, Pac-Man, Bomber-man and Super Mario, is not a good system...Anyway, I stick on W7 as there is a lot of improvements/hacks posted that can be used to speed it up...
The only good thing found in W8 and W10 is that can play wirelessly from laptop to DLNA TV without additional programs...but I solved it in W7 with Mplayer and a pack of codecs.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All OK. Lots of games.Had to change the video default player to VLC as a couple of them wouldn't play properly (same hapened with Win8.1 as well).

Also changed default browser to IE as I'm used to that but I'll have another look at the new Microsoft Edge browser when I've finished playing around. Chrome works well also.

All my files were saved so there was no restoring to do with the update.

Had to get one new driver update from Canon for my printer but that only took two mins to do.

So far I'm very pleased as it has all the good things from Win7 coupled to a more modern layout.

System seems very fast.

So far I'm well chuffed.

Al.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Al,

I'm running Windows 7 at the moment which was a big increase from my abacus.

What are the pitfalls in downloading it am I likely to find myself at Selfridges or M&S's home page

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uncletone said:
Al,

I'm running Windows 7 at the moment which was a big increase from my abacus.

What are the pitfalls in downloading it am I likely to find myself at Selfridges or M&S's home page

Hi Tone, well I didn't find any problems.

The instructions were clear (very few of them to be honest) and I just had to be patient whilst it did everything. I needed to OK a couple of things but all-in-all I found it very straightforward.

I did a backup of my files and folders on my 'Clickfree' just in case but didn't need it.

I kept my laptop plugged in to the charger/adapter to make sure it was not going to run low on power.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm; can't seem to find the snipping tool.
I've checked the 'Start Menu' and the 'All Apps' but it doesn't appear.

It says it should be there.

I'll have to look in the store as I may need to download it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looks like we'll be giving that a go this weekend.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm sorry to say that I can't find the 'Snipping Tool'.
I've located a few 'third party' snipping tools but I cannot see where to get the genuine Microsoft Snipping Tool. NOW FOUND...see next post...

<strike>I read that it comes as part of Windows 10 and it should be in the 'Start Menu'. One report I read said if it's not in the Start Menu then it will be in the 'All Apps', but it isn't.</strike>
<strike></strike>
<strike>I must admit that I did not have it installed on this laptop when it was Win7 so that may be the reason.</strike>
<strike></strike>
<strike>However I can't find where to download the proper Microsoft version. I've been going round in circles on the Microsoftwebsite and I've done search after search.</strike>
<strike></strike>
<strike>Any ideas?</strike>

Al.

Doh....

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found it....it was in 'All Apps' but under 'Windows Accessories'.

I've now pinned it to the taskbar.

I hadn't thought to look in the 'W's when I searched the 'All Apps'.

....and as for the 'search': I thought I only had web downloads come up when I typed in the search on snipping tool. What I thought was the title of the list,highlighted in blue, is actually the link to open the snipping tool!!!

In fact it comes up if I just type in 's'.

Happy days.
Al.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was thinking of upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. The little symbol on the bottom right hand side keeps staring at me. My computer is a few years old so I'mthinking of upgrading to a new PC/Laptop or even go over to Apple. Decisions decisions

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If there's nothing wrong with it then save the money and upgrade?
I've now upgraded my main PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and it's working very well.

The upgrade went a lot faster than my laptop but that's probably because I was only going from Win8.1 to Win10.

I had to shuffle my desktop around to get it in order on my laptop (Win7 to Win10)but everything was in it's original place on my PC.

I just had to change my default browser from Edge to IE and create a shortcut on the taskbar (two clicks to do that).

My Snipping Tool was already on the taskbar waiting where I'd left it.

This must be the easiest upgrade I've ever done.

PS: Even if you get a new computer you may as well dothe upgradeand keep it as a backup or spend a little of the saved money getting a couple of upgrades by your friendly computer teccy shop and carry on using it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
At least once a day the computer freeze then go blank then go back to normal again. Problem with my video driver I think.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...well you'll have plenty of cash in your pocket to get some upgrades...

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The new Snipping Tool works really well.

It has a pen to add rings around important text etc; and a highlighter (and an eraser in case you make a mistake). You can also easily change the colours. Not sure if I had that before.

The Start Menu allows the tiles to be shifted around and resized like in Win8.1 .

Seems to be running games far smoother and programmes load quicker.

New way of editingphotos in their folder but theprevious way in Gallery is still there.

If you have two or more folders/files etc. open then you can easily switch between them in the Task View.

The50/50 screen is still there as well.

Quite like the Edge browser. Easy tocopy all your Favourites from IE/Chromewith one click. If you tick the Favourites bar it will also copy them across.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/29/9066255/microsoft-windows-edge-browser-review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/134733-9-things-you-can-do-with-microsoft-edge-you-couldn-t-with-internet-explorer

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/30/microsoft-edge-windows-10/

Lovin' it so far.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Al,

I'm amazed at your IT Skills mate, for an old wrinkly like myself, you are the bees knees.

And I thought my great grand children were good but you wipe the floor with them .

Good on you mate.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't got many skills but I do mess around a bit until I sort it...or get advice off someone who does know a thing or two.

Just spent some time messing with the settings on theEdge browser.

Made my opening regular'Home' page then noticed there wasn't a 'Home' button so I created a 'Home' shortcut on the Favourites Bar.

Then I found in settings that there was a 'Home' button butit needed to be switched 'On' in settings.

That created alittle house logobut when I clicked on it I went to theirpre-set Home page already linked.

Messed around a bit more and realised I could change the pre-set address to my 'Home' one.

Now I have a Home button that puts me on my own home page.

Just need to find the setting now to open a link in a new page rather than changing the page I'm on.

Thing is once it's set-up it's done.

Al.

PS: There; just tried a 'right click' on a link and it gives me a choice of opening in a new tab or new window!

Sorted!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'm pleased to say I've finished all the settings and everything is working brilliantlyon both my main PC and laptop.

Found an extra thing today that's handy:

Left click on the Windows 'Start'and it instantly brings up the new'Start' features and Tiles(I knew that anyway); but right click on it and it brings up the older list that you may be more familiar with from earlier versionsfor 'Programs and Features', 'Power Options', 'Event Viewer', 'Systems', etc. etc. etc.

Typing in the 'Search' (next to the start) brings a list up instantly to find a file, folder, app, or anything else you want to ask.

The Microsoft Edge browser is excellent, so that's now my default browser (needs a little setting up but it's easy enough to do).

Creating 'Shortcuts'is straightforward as is using the various settings to get everything just how you want it.

Al.

PS: I have also run a 'defrag' to optimise the drives andmake sure everything is where it should be for smooth running.

PPS:...the other thing I've noticed is that the wifi has not dropped out at all so I've not needed to use the trouble shooter for resetting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
How are the "ads" that come with it.

Got any with good designer handbags on.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's no adverts apart from some games that you can subscribe to for a minimal cost to make them advert free. They only appear after you finish a round of patience, or what-ever, if you just play as a guest.

There's no other adverts at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTLM66WTgSE

1 - 20 of 56 Posts