Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cobbled together PC has crashed again. Same old problem with the graphics card.

Cost of replacing it and doing a couple of other upgrades means a new unit is a better bet.

I've gone for the Levono H530s which has a good spec and will be fine for me as a 'silver surfer'.

Now here's the dilemma; it comes with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) pre-installed but I am used to Windows 7 (32-bit on my old PC and 64-bit on my laptop).

Q 1: Do I try the Windows 8.1 which I've read can be very frustrating to use, or, install my Windows 7 (32-bit) disc, which I am used to. Even though I'll probably get to grips with it I think my wife may find it confusing.

Q 2: Is it worth buying a 64-bit version of Windows 7 which does an excellent job on my laptop (everything runs so much faster). I actually think buying a new 64-bit version is the better option as I have a 6 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD for storage with USB 3 ports on the new one. Hmm; I've just answered my own question there!

Q 3: Has anyone tried Windows 8.1 and gone back to Windows 7?

Must admit that it does seem to make sense to have the same system as my laptop, but that is a few years old now.

Al.

PS: Link to full spec <a href="http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h530s-desktop-pc-22064410-pdt.html?gclid=CJvu6YaGtb8CFYrJtAodaHcAsw&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!42441136460!!!g!70533650900!&ef_id=U7kKRgAABJgvnXUc:20140708060528:s" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Lenovo
H530s via Currys</a>

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found this:

<a href="http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-software/21919/windows-81-vs-windows-7-which-is-best-for-you/page/0/2" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">8.1
vs 7 which is best for you?</a>

Looks like 8.1 is the better option and may well be worth persevering with although I'm not bothered about any of the 'business' aspects.

However, it does seem silly to spend even more money on an older operating system when, with a little practice, I can get up and running with the latest OS.

Think I've answered my own queries but I would be grateful for any additional comments.

Al.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Allan.. went through just the same senario with a failing graphics card, and so bought a new PC on 8.1.. yes it is a big adjustment, and no - for me not a good one in 8 months of trying to adapt to its restrictive operation. The salesman informed me that changing back to Windows 7 will invalidate the new warranty.. so a no win there.
So now I'm often just wringing out the last from the old 7 PC and putting up with the crashing graphics ( thankfully has yet to become a problem with email's light demands)
Your Allure with its exceptional polish and lighting modifications will make an interesting purchase for owner number two...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Go with 8.1 , you can simulate a desktop view which is similar to whatyou use to by windows & D key pressed together .You can stick with or gradually move to the 8.1 interfaceUnless you have a lot of old software you want to run you won't have a problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Al,My advice would be to persevere with Windows 8.1. I have used every Microsoft Windows OS since Windows 1.0 and despite it's frustrations, this really is the best yet in terms of speed and best use of system resources. I stubbornly stuck with Windows 7 for almost a year after 8.1 came out but I have become a convert, using it on 2 laptops and a desktop machine. I have my machines configured so that I never see the 'Windows New Interface' and do everything through a Windows desktop that you would be familiar with. The only thing that is missing is the 'Start' menu and although I'm not a fan of the 'Apps' menu that Windows 8.1 gives you, it looks as if that is about to change anyway:

"<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-codename-threshold-the-next-major-windows-wave-takes-shape-7000023832/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Windows
"Threshold,"

</a> the next major version of Microsoft's Windows
operating system due to hit around the spring of 2015, which may or may not
ultimately be branded as "Windows 9" is coming into focus.

Before Threshold
is released next spring, Microsoft is expected to deliver a public preview of
the Threshold release, most likely in the fall of 2014.

Before that,
Microsoft will deliver a second and final update for Windows 8.1. There's not a
whole lot of new features of note coming in Update 2. There may be some UI
adjustments and tweaks, but nothing hugely noticeable.

<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-new-new-windows-cadence-once-a-year-is-not-enough-7000028638/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Windows 8.1
Update 2

</a> should be code complete any time now and will be locked
down about two weeks before August Patch Tuesday. (August Patch Tuesday is on
August 12.) Microsoft may opt to not make a big deal out of Update 2 and just
push it out quietly as part of the set of August patches.

It's still early
in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging,
pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows
Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe
even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.

Microsoft
is basically "done" with Windows 8.x. Regardless of how usable or
functional it is or isn't, it has become Microsoft's Vista 2.0 ""”
something from which Microsoft needs to distance itself, perception-wise. At
this point, Microsoft is going full-steam-ahead toward Threshold and will do
its best to differentiate that OS release from Windows 8."

So, by this time next year you may be able to replace Window 8.1 free of charge with Windows 9 which will see a return to the desktop and the start menu with the speed and resilience of Windows 8.

I hope that helps.

Steve

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info; thanks folks.

I've just got back from WHSmiths after buying 'Windows 8.1 Explained'......and it says on the front 'Suitable for all ages' so I just creep in there!

Seems a very comprehensive little book and mentions near the beginning about using the 'Tiled apps' or 'Desktop'. I like the look of Desktop as it's very similar to Win 7.

That update info sounds great.

Now; I've got a little reading to do so no waxing of my 2008 for a few days!

Al.

PS: The standard bulbs will be going back just before the dealer gets the car as I'll need the LEDs etc for the new one around next summer.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

I just hope I can persevere long enough to get used to it!!

Al.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You'll enjoy getting to the Windows Update.. and finding your programs.. simples

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been updated to 8.1 and there's another update due mid-August (as per Stevehi) which I'm told will combine all the good points of Windows 7 and Windows 8 .

Spent about 11 hours on it today updating and downloading stuff.

So annoying when you click something by mistake and it just vanishes never to be seen again and you wonder how on earth you get back to where you were!

But I'll keep trying.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
72 Posts
i run my own pc company www. Tontin. Co. Uk (blatant plug), and although 8 is newer than 7 , 7 is much more stable, saying that 8.1 seems to be better. The most common issues I have to deal with ignoring the interface of 8 or 8.1, is the problems with wireless drivers which are always dropping the connection, I have been called out time and time again for this, the only permanent fix has been going back to 7 where everything works fine.

You get used to the interface eventually we all remember dos, windows 3. And even the amiga os. No""¦ oh well must be showing my age.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm slowly getting better with 8.1 but it does seem far more 'fiddly' what with moving back and forth between 'Desktop' and the 'Start' screen for different programmes.

I'm considering having Windows 7 64-bit installed instead (I have this on my laptop so it makes sense to have the same).

Starting to wish I'd had a new graphics card and PSU in my old one - yet again!!

I'll have a look at a couple of tutorials on YouTube.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amazing!!!

Just when I was getting to grips with it they change something with an update!!

Thought I'd check if there were any updates and there was.

A couple of quick ones and one very large one for the WIN8.1 system.

Evidently it's a big update and I now find I don't get the 'hand' to drag when I go to close an open programme. Instead I get a bar with a choices in the top corners.

Go to Desktop on the left or minimize/close to the right.

I'm getting there though!

PS: Power options and search buttons are also on the top right of the 'Start' screen. That's better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Told you it was getting better
Stick with it and people power will ensure that Windows 8.1 and its successors will be as familiar and useful as older versions and as others have said, this is the most secure and stable version of Windows yet.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm really liking this new Windows 8.1 system.

Getting to grips with it now and it's really good.

I have a question regarding backing-up the system and files.

I've been using a Clickfree C2 but I've just discovered that it is not fully compatible with my new system. It also only backs up the standard files.

Clickfree produce a model C6 which is compatible with XP, 7 and 8 plus it copies everything for the whole system.

Question is, do I need it?

The built-in File History backup in Windows 8.1 will store all my personal documents/photos etc, as well as being able to save the system set-up, to an external drive (or Cloud).

I can also set it to do the backup at a regular time.

I think that all I need is an external drive to save the backup on.

Have I got that right?

Thanks folks.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Al,I have found File History very useful for restoring older copies of files Ihave inadvertently deleted or updated but there are a couple of other things you should do to secure your PC.
1. Create a System Image - This is a copy of
the drive required for Windows to run.

It can also include additional drives.

A system image can be used to restore your computer if your hard drive
or computer stops working; however, you can't select individual items to restore. You can find the function in the bottom left hand corner of the File History screen

2. Create a recovery drive - Recovery Drive is meant for those who do not have a bootable Windows 8.1 DVD - this
is a common case as there is no DVD bundled with computers that have Windows 8
or 8.1 preinstalled (the OEM versions of Windows).
It is strongly recommended to create the drive before getting into
trouble - if you cannot start Windows 8.1, you might be out of luck in repairing
your PC.

To create the drive, open Settings Search with
keyboard shortcut Windows key+W and type "recovery" into Search box.
Click Create a recovery drive.

And to answer your question, yes get yourself an external hard drive to store you File History and System Image on.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
242 Posts
Create your recovery drive on a usb stick they are cheap, you probably needeither a 8gb or 16gb one .However buy a branded one, very cheap e-bay ones are reformatted small drives which will work for a bit and could fail .If you only keep photos etc your online drive from Microsoft or your broadband provider online drive should cater for most people. A online drive is safer to retrieve your data. If your house caught fire, flood, burgled etc if the drive is near the computer you be knackered.If you back up your data to CD's or DVD's, remember over time these will break down, they are not for life !. If you got old dvd's with files ,copy them to your computer and back up again

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys; so much to do, so little time.......and I still haven't cleaned my car yet!

Thank you for this info; looks like I'll be busy over the next few days.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tontinuk said:
................................ is the problems with wireless drivers which are always dropping the connection,

......I've had to use the 'Troubleshoot Problems' three times now!

I have a CSL WLAN USB Adapter which I used on my old system.

If I install that will it conflict with the built-in system?

....or maybe they will issue an update for that also....

NB: I had to use the 'Troubleshooter' again this morning. Seems it mainly does it when booting up.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it was still doing it on boot up so I decided to pop down to PCWorld and get them to double-check I had it all done right.

I had already checked it was set to 'automatic' etc, but I thought they may spot something I'd missed.

They plugged it in booted up and it found their wifi with no problem.

I said thanks for checking and got home; reconnected and everything booted up as it should.

Happy days!.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Windows 8.1 is a very stable system. If you really need the desk top download startisback this gives the functionality of windows 7 and you can then gradually get used to using the tiled system. The cost of startisback is around 3$ so cheap enough.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts